Saturday, July 18, 2015

‘I get advances from men every day’

‘I get advances from men every day’

Busola Oke’s claim to fame was the release of her hit album, Eleyele. But the success means there is pressure on her to prove it wasn’t just a flash in the pan. The singer tells DGossip247 what she has been up to after the successful album, her career and family.


You’ve been far away from the showbiz circles for some time now; what’s been happening to you?
I have been going in and out of the country. At a point I had to relocate permanently to London to give birth to my children, but I am back to Nigeria now.
What is your show at Rodizzo Club in Ikeja all about?
Night Out with Queen Busola Oke at Rodizzio is all about keeping in touch with my fans and music lovers around, the show comes up once a month and it’s also a way to promote young talents. The show is all about showcasing both known and upcoming artistes.
You featured Artquake and LKT in one of your songs, what was the experience like?
Featuring LKT and Artquake was a very wonderful experience; I personally love that track, Eje Njo so much because of its unique style and the way the two artistes interpreted the song; it was really professional.
You own a record label, what kind of artistes are you going to sign?
First and foremost, I am an artiste and having a record label is a way to contribute to the growth of music industry in Nigeria. Royal Water Records & Entertainments Ltd is strictly for business, if we see any artiste who can hold his or her own regardless of his genre of music, we’ll gladly consider that. I recently signed on an artiste for the label and he sings juju gospel, he’s known as Segun Royal.
If you weren’t into music, what else would you have been doing?
If I wasn’t an artiste, I would have been a big time designer, own a clothing line of my own and also run my catering business. Either of them could have been a household name by now, but my career is gulping a lot of time.
Do you think you can still achieve the sort of impact made by Eleyele?
Everything in life depends on God and the individual’s ability and struggle. For me, I am doing all I can to attain my dream place in this chosen career and to make my fans proud of me but with God all things are possible. I am working very hard to become even better than what’s expected of me.
It’s still unclear what your genre of music is, are you a gospel artiste?
I am a professional musician, I do different kinds of music. An inspirational singer sings reality. He or she sings from a natural source, something that will move you or remind you of something that is real, something that will touch your soul and also pass a message. But, a gospel artiste is like a minister of God, his or her song might either be preaching the gospel or praising and appreciating God through songs.
Would you say there is still market for your kind of music?
My kind of music is the original African beat and style; it’s not of the western world or imitations, it’s real and anything that is real makes way anywhere and everywhere. At the same time, I am not the best, my music is not the best and there is still room for amendments and more improvement.
Apart from music, what else are you engaged in?
Asides music Busola Oke ‘Eleyele’ is a professional caterer, a cloth designer and an event planner.
What was the weirdest thing a fan has ever told you?
I can’t believe I am finally sharing this, one day a female fan called me and said, ‘Busola Oke what is it about you that my husband is going crazy about? He even told me that I must learn and know how to sing all your songs and also wear your hairstyles. Busola who are you? What planet are you from? What is special about you?’ I was so shocked and short of words.
What would you have done differently if you had another opportunity?
I have no regrets, the only pain I have in my heart is that my father died too early, he didn’t reap much from the fruit of his labour. But I thank God he was convinced about my chosen career. He initially wanted me to be a lawyer, but I ended up studying mass communication. When I told him I’d chosen to be a singer, that initially caused a lot of rift between us, but he later realised this was my destiny before passing away.
It is generally believed that marriage often slows down female artistes; how true is this?
Marriage is not affecting me in anyway, but at the same time as a cultural person I must also put my marriage into consideration in everything I do. I don’t see how it affects me as a person because my husband is my biggest fan and also my biggest promoter because of his encouragement, morally and financially when it comes to my career.
As a beautiful lady how often do you get advances from men?
I get this almost every day and time. This is very common and I must say I am used to advances from the opposite sex. But for one with focus and determination, it’s easy to handle that.
Doesn’t your husband get jealous?
Oh my God! Can you show me just one man that doesn’t get jealous? My man is an introvert, he doesn’t like publicity at all, he loves his privacy I don’t bring him into my career and he doesn’t bring me into his business as well. He is not a showbiz person. He is a businessman.
If you had a chance to change something about yourself, what will that be?
That’s a huge question, but I will be factual. If I have my way, I would love to still be a lawyer. I owe that to my father, but I know I may not be able to practice law because of my chosen career and because I am not getting any younger.

No comments:

TRENDING