Monday, August 24, 2015

It’s normal for actors to forget their lines

It’s normal for actors to forget their lines

Kenneth Okonkwo’s name has gone into the annals of the Nigerian movie industry and he keeps the buzz going. The actor and lawyer in this interview with DGossip247 speaks about his career, politics and Nollywood.


You heralded the birth of Nollywood with your stellar performance in Living in Bondage. Looking at the level the industry has got, how does it make you feel?
Honestly, it feels great. When I see people coming around because of what Nollywood has become, it gives me great joy because when we started, a lot of people had doubts. And seeing this happen in our lifetime is something we will be eternally grateful to God for.
Was that your best outing ever? Fans are still waiting for you to beat that record you set over twenty years ago
Living in Bondage came at a time when the eyes of Nigerians had not been deflowered. So, they saw it with that eye and some have made up their minds to conclude that the movie is the best no matter what you come up with later. I believe there have been very good movies that I acted in, Nigerians are now more knowledgeable as to what films should be. So, they criticize modern films more than they’d ever do with Living in Bondage.
Have you ever forgotten your lines during filming?
Yes. From time to time every artist forgets his or her lines. It is natural. It shows you are not God but man. Again if you lose concentration, you may forget your lines. If the actor you are acting with misses his or her lines, it may affect you. The most important thing is when you miss your lines, you concentrate, get it back and continue.
What is that thing you know now that you wish you knew when you first started out as an actor?
That when you become popular you have fans who, unknown to you, regard you as their role model and you must put them into account in how you live your life. This means you can no longer be yourself. You do not have a private life anymore. People want to know what you eat, drink, who you see, talk to, and so on. What other people do and get away with, you will do and will not get away with it.
Have you rejected roles before; if yes, which roles were they and why?
Yes. I am very selective with the scripts I receive. Because God used me to start Nollywood as an actor in the movie, Living in Bondage, I always feel that I have to keep that standard to make people maintain their interest and love for Nollywood. This encourages me to choose only the best scripts that will add value to me as an actor and to the industry in general. I do not want to mention the ones I rejected because they were rejected in the first place because they will not add any value. So they will not add any value to this interview.
You sought a political office during the last election when most people thought that you would return to your other profession, law, when you take a break from acting. Why did you try politics?
Let’s put it this way, the source of my greatness has always been from the love of the people. When you have such love from the people, the surest way to empower and repay them for the love they’ve shown me is to represent them and bring true dividends to them. So, I felt the sense of obligation to look for opportunity to serve them and that was what led me to politics because I would have more access to the resources that will enable me help the people.
But you didn’t see the dream to fruition…
Yes, I boycotted the primary. I must confess that at the initial stage, what I saw was below my barest minimum of participation. And I wouldn’t lend my name to anything that is not up to the standard of Living in Bondage. So, I know that we’re growing and we’ll get there.
So is it safe to say that you’ve said goodbye to politics?
I am still in politics, I boycotted the primary but I’m still in the Peoples Democratic Party.
Don’t you think delving into politics will negatively affect your acting career?
No, politics won’t set me back. Even my being an actor didn’t affect my legal career. We started acting as a hobby. We were trained professionals and we used acting to entertain ourselves just as you play football. It became so successful that a lot of us are now seeing it as a profession rather than hobby.
Have you relocated to Lagos?
No, I’m in Abuja now. I’ve got to a level where anybody who needs me to be part of a movie project knows where they’ll get me and movies are shot all over Nigeria and all over the world.
What are you doing in Abuja?
That’s where I have my law chambers.

No comments:

TRENDING