Sunday, August 16, 2015

Corruption war must be time bound- Otti

Corruption war must be time bound- Otti


The Abia State governorship candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Alex Otti in the last election has stated that any anti graft war that must be successful must be time bound.
Otti, who is at the election tribunal challenging the last result of the governorship election spoke to journalists at the APC National Secretariat  where he came to felicitate with the National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun for turning 76.
The former banker stayed that he was optimistic that justice would be given at the election tribunal.
He also stated that the electoral reform should include penalty for those who destroy electoral materials made for evidence at election tribunals.
On his visit to the APC National Secretariat and alleged plan to join APC, Otti refuted that, stating “I never told anybody that I was leaving my party or that I was joining APC. So those reports are in the realm  of speculation. I am a member of APGA, I ran the election under APGA and I remain a  member of APGA”.
Commenting on the anti graft war of the present administration and the criticisms against the probe of last administration only, Otti said: “Well, it is the decision of the current President and if he says he wants to limit it to the immediate past administration, I believe he has his reasons. He also has a lot of work to do. So he can’t spend the next four years probing administrations even before the  Nigerian civil war. There must be a time line. It must cut at some point so that he is not distracted. So I believe that he knows what he is doing.  I think it makes sense.
“Like I said, you can spend eight years, probing, investigating but there is a lot of work to do. I am sure he is not under estimating the enormity of the job. I don’t have a problem with where he says it makes sense and he has the resources to look into the past administrations.  It  won’t be my call because I know he also has constraints.”
He commended the strides made so far by the President, Muhammadu Buhari, however, he stated the need to appoint ministers.
Asked to access the administration, he said: “I think its early days. So far so good he is doing very well. He has shown clear signal that you can see things have started changing even in areas where he has not done anything.
“The signal is very important. It means that he is not going to tolerate corruption. So you see people are jittery. People are already doing the right thing. I was with a friend this morning and he was talking about the improvement in power supply. And I know that President Buhari has not invested in the power sector yet. People are already doing the right thing. I am aware of an office where people resume anytime they want to  but today by 8 am, 8:30 am everybody is on his seat.
“So I think it is a clear signal, but personally l also think he should move faster. I am not very happy that the cabinet has not been constituted. He has said it will happen by September, we are two weeks away from September. I hope that happens very quickly. Until that happens, people still get the impression that we really haven’t started.  Otherwise I think I will give him a very high pass mark”.

No comments:

TRENDING