Thursday, July 16, 2015

Umahi: No salary cut for me

Umahi: No salary cut for me
Ebonyi State governor, Engr. Dave Umahi, speaks on controversy over the relocation of Boko Haram suspects to Anambra State, governance and pay cut for public officials. Adekitan Boye reports
We understand that some Boko Haram suspects were brought to the South-East; what is the security implication of this to your state?
Not yet in our place and there will not be any in our place. I think it was in Anambra State and I was misquoted as saying that Boko Haram have been taken away from South-East. I never said so. What I said was that there was no need for the market people in Ebonyi to protest. In the first place, I was not informed of the peaceful protest they intended to carry out. And secondly is that we have taken a position as governors of South- East and already we have started talking with the Federal Government.
I want to use this opportunity to also commend the governor of Anambra State for the very peaceful disposition and steps he has taken to address the matter. I think the issue remains that we don’t want Boko Haram detainees in the South-East. By the nature of our people, there is no reason to bring them to South- East.
Your state is well noted for rice production; what is your administration doing to ensure comparative advantage in rice production over other states of the federation?
We already have five gigantic rice mills in Ebonyi State. What we don’t have is money and we’ve been asking the Federal Government to give us funds. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor is giving Ebonyi State attention. He has written us since the banning of importation of rice, which is what is supposed to be done.
I don’t see the reason why we should import food into Nigeria. I don’t see why we should import toothpick to Nigeria, import vegetable oil; that’s quite absurd and I think they have taken decisive steps to address all those. We have quite vast land that is very good for rice production, very good for cassava, maize and we have a lot of mineral resources like limestone, salt, bauxite, zinc, lead, copper and quite a lot of them. So, what we need is assistance from Federal Government so that we can develop them.
And I say that the problem of oil price going down is not totally bad for Nigeria because it has helped us to engage our wisdom and the gift of God which is in our brains and also mobilise us to work harder and think harder. So, I think that’s what God wants for this nation. He has given us quite a lot – land that is very fertile, a lot of mineral resources and people who are very talented, energetic and gifted. I think we should deploy all these to address the challenges we are facing due to oil problem.
Many governors would soon be celebrating 100 days in office. So far, so good; how would your administration fare in 100 days?
I don’t do 100 days. Three months, two months, one month, I hit the ground running from day one and I don’t believe in makeshift things. I also don’t believe in people cutting 50 per cent of their salaries because that is not where the issue is. I think it’s not the major issue. The major issue is to be honest to the people.
It’s to deploy the resources God has given the people; don’t cheat them, don’t steal their money. What we take as political leaders, what is due to us is really very meagre. I earn about N600,000 a month; so if I cut it down to 50 per cent, that’s N300,000. That is not the kind of money the society is looking for. They are asking: whatever is due to us, give it to us and I believe in that.
We have taken very major step in addressing the growth of our state, Ebonyi. We’ve taken decisive steps. Right now, we are auditing our workforce; we think our workforce is not right.
We are also doing everything possible to bring investors into our mineral resources and the agricultural sector. These are what we are doing. Definitely in 100 days, you would see a lot but you would see a plan that is installed and you expect a steady growth. So, what you see in 100 days is beyond 100 days; it’s well articulated plans for the greatness of our state, Ebonyi.
Do you still have a cordial relationship with your predecessor considering what transpired between the two of you before the last general elections?
Hmmn, my case is, quoting my dear president: ‘I’m for everybody and I’m for nobody.’ Like the former president (Olusegun Obasanjo) has advised; all the good things he did, I must continue with them. Whatever was wrong, I must make sure I correct it. So, if that will build the relationship, so be it.

No comments:

TRENDING