Saturday, March 28, 2015

I Went To School To Please My Parents –Debi J



Budding singer, Debrah Jephson, popularly known as Debi J, tells Saturday Beatsabout his career

Most people who haven’t seen you before may think you are female because of your name, Debi J…
So many people do tell me that. Immediately I introduce myself to anybody, they point out that it is a woman’s name. I am used to it by now. There was a time I went for a photo shoot and the cameramen were shocked when they saw me because they had thought they would see a female. It happens like that most times.

Doesn’t it bother you?

No, I am not bothered and I love my stage name. It has its significance in my life.

How did you get the name?

My father told me a story about our family years ago and it made me adopt the name. My father told me that back then that their male children always died each time they were born. So when they gave birth to one, they decided to give him a female’s name and he survived. The name they gave the child was Debrah. He was the first male child that survived from that generation and that was how the jinx was broken. My parents gave me the name.

At what point in your life did you decide to make music your source of livelihood?

I decided to make music a career in 2013 after I graduated from the university. I schooled in Victoria Irvine University in Malaysia and I studied Software Engineering. Although I was doing music even before I travelled for my studies, I had to put it on hold till I completed my education because you cannot serve two masters at the same time. I decided to face my studies. But whenever I was less busy, I would go into the studio, record some songs and post them on the internet so that my name would still be in the minds of people. After I completed my studies, I decided to come back to Nigeria to face my music career.

What sets you apart from other new comers in the industry?

I do all genres of music but I focus more on reggae/dance hall. My style of music and my mode of delivery set me apart from others. I have a unique way in which I pass my message across to the people. Even my looks set me apart from other entertainers in the industry.

Most people believe that reggae musicians take substance to get inspiration. What do you indulge in?

I don’t smoke. I drink alcohol occasionally but I hate smoking.

Why?

There is no fun in smoking. I don’t know what people see in it. I tried smoking for the first time in my life last Christmas and I hated the feeling. I did not feel anything, neither did I get any inspiration. I just went home. It was a total waste of my time and I regretted it.

What was your parents’ reaction when you told them you wanted to become a singer?

I wanted to face music from the very start. I wanted to polish my talent to become better. I did not like school because I felt I could achieve more with my talents. But as the first son in my family, I had to go to school. I had to be a good representative of my family, so I chose to complete my education before facing my music career. My parents told me that if I faced my studies squarely and I passed well, then I was free to face my music career. After I graduated, they had no choice but to let me pursue my passion. I wanted to school in Ukraine but it did not work out, so I went to Malaysia for my studies.

Many people complain of racism outside the country. Did you experience such while doing your music in Malaysia?

Initially when I got to Malaysia, I was doing music until I realised that it was a waste of time. I stopped doing music there when I found out that the country does not support anything that has to do with black people. They would never play your song on the radio. They hardly even play songs made by Malaysians not to talk of an African. I think most radio stations get their content from the United States. I got fed up so, I faced my studies and immediately I was done, I came to Nigeria to face music.

How was it growing up as the only boy in the family?

I have two lovely sisters and they are both married now. Growing up with girls made me act like a girl at some point in my life. I played some feminine games with my sisters while growing up. I was not pampered because I was the only son; my father treated all of us with equal love.

Did growing up with girls make you a womaniser?

I am not a womaniser but I love women. I have a girlfriend, so I am a very focused young man. I am not a flirt.

Most girls are sceptical about getting involved with entertainers, have you experienced such?

Ironically, my girlfriend does not believe me whenever I tell her she is the only one for me. She doubts me whenever I tell her she is the only one I am dating because I am an entertainer. She is the woman I would love to marry.

Does your career not affect your relationship?

I am blessed with the kind of lady I have in my life. She minds her business and makes sure she brings out the best in me.

Do you have a crush on any artiste in the industry?

Yes. I have a huge crush on Victoria Kimani.

What do you like about her?

I have not heard any scandal about her. She is like a light that never goes off. She also has a very lovely body. I am an African man and we like thick women like her.

No comments:

TRENDING