Sunday, July 12, 2015

Rita Dominic is my biggest inspiration -Ejiro Okurame

Rita Dominic is my biggest inspiration -Ejiro Okurame
Ejiro Okurame is a Nollywood actress that came into the movie industry almost a decade ago. She is known for her roles in popular television dramas, including Clinic Matters, Hills and Valleys, Everyday People and Ashes of Love. She has also acted in a couple of feature films in Nigeria and Ghana. She tells DGossip247 about her journey in Nollywood, fashion and the kind of man that makes her happy
When did you actually start appearing on television?
If we look at it based on camera level, I’d say in the 90’s. While in secondary school, I used to work with Joe Garba though it was a school production; but professionally, I started in 2001 with Schemers, directed by Andy Chukwu and Michael Jaja.
If we are to count, how many movies have you featured in?
I have done a couple of movies, the first one being Schemers. I don’t even remember their names. I can only do that if I settle down and check because I’m very good at documenting things. I do for all the movies I featured in and keep in my study even if it’s just a single scene.
Your educational qualification?
I have a diploma in Public Relations from Olabisi Onabanjo University and a degree in Sociology from Lagos State University.
What inspired you to go into acting?
I would say it’s the passion because I never even majored in any of the courses that had to do with acting while in school. After secondary school, I started out with modelling and did some calendar and promotional jobs for Nigerian Breweries, though I didn’t go too far like doing billboard and television commercials.
How did your family react when they learnt you were acting?
Actually, I didn’t tell them I was going to act or seek their permission. They just started seeing me on television and they were shocked. They never expected me to venture into such without their consent but they encouraged and supported me.
Apart from acting, who is Ejiro?
Ejiro is just a normal girl from Delta State. I am the last from a family of seven. I lost my dad recently and it has not been an easy experience.
You are one of the Nurses in the sitcom, Clinic Matters, on Television. What has being in a popular TV series done for your career?
It helped to increase my fan base. You know, when you do something you’ve never done, it tends to increase your followership.
Do you also feature in Yoruba movies?
No, maybe it’s because I have not had the opportunity or maybe one or two people haven’t called me. But I do have a lot of friends there.
It’s been more than 10 years since you joined Nollywood. What is your perception of the industry?
The fact is that Nollywood has really helped a lot of people, in terms of putting food on their tables and picking them off the streets. In fact, the industry itself is like a university on its own. It has really helped us, not just those in the profession, but Nigeria as a whole.
While growing up in the industry, who were your role models?
I have three role models. The first one happens to be like an elder sister to me. Her name is Kate Henshaw, the second person is Evangelist Liz Benson and Patience Ozokwor popularly known as Mama G is the third.
They have really inspired me but one major person I really have to give thanks to is Rita Dominic. I did my first film with her and during my first shoot, I ran out of lines or let say I was star struck and nervous. I was missing my lines and messing up but she calmed me down, ‘Take your time. Do you want water? Is it brandy you like?’
She was there for me and encouraged me. That is the more reason why I have grown to encourage people. If not for her, probably I would have just dropped it, dusted my certificate and found something else to do. I really give kudos to her for giving me the opportunity to align with her because then I was nobody. Even as we speak, she is still bigger than me. She is a plus in my career life.
What is your style?
Fashion and style, for me, have to do with my mind. My mind and mood determines what I wear. If I feel like wearing a pair of jeans to an event, I will definitely wear it, but if it’s an event that is strictly traditional or corporate, we have to dress that way. Basically, I’m not too crazy about designers. I put on an attire because it fits me and not because it’s from a designer. I might wear a designer and it will look horrible on me, I wear clothes to make me comfortable. My fashion sense is very simple.
What is your beauty routine?
I sleep a lot! This is because when I sleep, I am okay even if I don’t eat. When I’m stressed, it will surely show on my forehead. And I also love staying at home. Not that I don’t go out for events. I do, but not in my ‘spare’ time. If you see me out in my ‘spare’ time, it has to be in the market to buy food stuff because I like to cook.
What drives you?
It’s God and it has always been Him. I also derive joy in helping people, not necessarily financially. Some people might just need a listening ear. When I’m available I do that and help them; but when they became a nuisance, I drop them off, it’s just simple.
Outside acting, do you have other interests?
Business-wise, I love buying and selling things like clothes and shoes. Even if I don’t buy, my sisters abroad send them to me. I sell but they don’t pay because it is not everyday people buy clothes. But people must drink pure water, soft drink and so on, so I prefer those.
What fashion item can you not do without?
My glasses, just ordinary sun glass. It’s doesn’t really have to be a designer or very expensive, just something am comfortable in.
Are you married?
No I am not married.
So what kind of man are you looking at?
He has to be God fearing; after that every other quality can come in. This is because once you have the fear of God every other thing will fall into place.
If you are paid several millions to act nude will you do it?
No! I won’t. I didn’t do it when I was starting, so why now?
What’s your life’s philosophy?
Just be truthful, faithful and be very open to people. The most important thing in life is to be truthful. This is because when you tell a lie, you will need a thousand lies to cover up that lie.

No comments:

TRENDING