Sunday, August 16, 2015

Mourinho: Substituted Terry was NOT injured


The Chelsea skipper was hauled off for the first time ever under the Portuguese coach, taken off at half-time, but 'the Special One' says it was a purely tactical decision

Jose Mourinho says John Terry was not carrying an injury when he hauled off the captain at half-time of Chelsea's 3-0 defeat to Manchester City, insisting it was a tactical switch.

The veteran centre-back was replaced by Kurt Zouma with the Blues a goal down, and the champions went on to concede twice more as Chelsea made their worst start to a Premier League season in 17 years.

"John Terry [had no injury]. It was just a decision. I know that Kurt Zouma is the fastest defender Chelsea have," the Portuguese told Sky Sports.

"He is a player of my total trust. With me he was never substituted, but with other manager's he was not even playing. Some people thought his career was over. If anyone has the free mind to make this decision I am the one because I'm the one who gave him the chance to be what he is: a fantastic player and captain.

"I left him out because tactically I had to make a change. Sometimes you are right and sometimes you are wrong, but I think I was right. We controlled the counter-attack completely afterwards. My decision was proven right.
“John is Chelsea captain for sure, and a player with my entire confidence for sure."

Mourinho was also of the opinion that Chelsea had been the better side in the second off at teh Etihad Stadium, and felt both Fernandinho and Yaya Toure should have been sent off.

No comments:

TRENDING