Sunday, July 26, 2015

Spieth targets third major after Open disappointment

Spieth targets third major after Open disappointment
Despite falling agonisingly short at the Open, Jordan Spieth will look to etch his name into the record books in August by winning the US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits. Spieth finished just one shot outside the play-off between eventual winner Zach Johnson, Louis Oosthuizen and Marc Leishman at St Andrews.
The 21-year-old Masters and US Open champion will now head into the final major of the year with high hopes of becoming only the third player – after Ben Hogan in 1953 and Tiger Woods in 2000 – to win three majors in a single season.
And he is already in exalted company given that Arnold Palmer in 1960 and Jack Nicklaus in 1972 both won the Masters and US Open but came up short in the Open. “I don’t know how many guys have done three majors in a year. I’m sure there’s only been a few,” Spieth said. “I know Tiger has done it, and I’m sure Jack has (Nicklaus won two majors in a year five times, but never three).
So that would be the next goal as far as the history goes. Sights set on the PGA Championship. “I made a lot of the right decisions down the stretch and (have) certainly closed plenty of tournaments out, and this just wasn’t one of those. It’s hard to do that every single time. I won’t beat myself up too bad because I do understand that.
“I think the way that I played this week and especially today would have won the US Open by more than just a shot. I didn’t play as well there. It’s just that’s the kind of golf that was played by the field this week, it just took some special golf.”

No comments:

TRENDING