Sunday, July 26, 2015

‘Growing up wasn’t quite encouraging’

‘Growing up wasn’t quite encouraging’

Comedian Seyi Law (Aletile Idileoye Oluwaseyitan) speaks with DGossip247 about splurging on a wristwatch and how his formative years toughened him.


What was growing up like?
Growing up was fun. It was not too encouraging but I now look back and laugh over it. It was one of those things that are meant to happen for me to be where I am now.
Did your background influence who you are now?
I can’t really say it did but then, I have always been a funny type. I was in a house where we were all serious people, where all you did was read your books as a result of which I started writing letters when I was in primary two. My uncle taught me how to write a letter when I was in primary two and I followed the trend. Comedy to me is something that started just like that.
What inspires your various creations?
I love to deal with reality that appeal to lots of people in one way or the other, hearing what happened to you in the past at comedy show will give your audience a sense of belonging. Real life event is my source of inspiration.
Who do you look up to in the industry?
I have got a lot of people who are my mentors for different reasons. I look up to somebody like Ali Baba for his father figure; Basket Mouth for his ability to brand the industry; Ay for his event-packaging ability; Gordons for his audibility; I Go Die for his creativity and Teju Babyface have good command of English language. Looking at all these qualities in them to me is like learning the rudiment of the industry. I use the knowledge I got from it to build up a body called Seyi Law.
What influences your fashion sense?
I love to dress well, I am very much a casual person but because of my job I cannot be casual at all occasions. The occasion I want to attend determines what I wear. A lot of times you see me in my t-shirt and boxers. I love it free most of the time.
How did you meet your wife?
We met in a church.
Were you both choir members in church?
I met her in a church where I was invited to give a comedy performance and she was there right in the audience laughing and having fun. Her laughter caught my attention but I was not confident enough to go close to her. When we finished, she walked up to me and said, ‘men I love your confidence on stage’. Meanwhile, I lacked the confidence to walk up to her. The rest is history.
What is your advice to youngsters who look up to you?
I always tell people to understand why they want to go into comedy and I get funny answers about the desire to be famous and celebrated by ladies. I always see people that nurture such vision as those heading to nowhere. You have to know the reason why you want to go into it, discover yourself if you are fit for it and refine yourself by working continuously on yourself. Create a unique identity because if you try to look like somebody you become a second person to that person.
Who do you consider the most creative in the industry?
Creativity is large, everybody say something at different times and it make lots of time so, it’s hard to tag a particular person as the most creative. We’ve got a lot of comedian who are creative, anyone who say something that makes you laugh is creative. When I look at creativity in terms of longevity, I give it to Ali Baba and I salute I Go Die for keeping it real.
What will Seyi Law never be caught wearing?
Nothing.
You mean you could wear skirt and bra too?
I can wear skirt and bra while playing with my wife at home.
Tell us about your perfect holiday destination
The place I enjoy most is London because it is very similar to what we have here in Nigeria. I feel at home if I’m in London because I can easily get to wherever I want to go because I’m conversant with London environment as much as I am with Nigeria environment.
Most expensive fashion item ever bought
A wrists watch that I bought for two thousand dollars.

No comments:

TRENDING