Saturday, May 16, 2015

I don’t bleach; I only use right cream –Nkiru Sylvanus


Popular Nollywood actress, Nkiru Sylvanus, talks to ‘Nonye Ben-Nwankwo about her fashion and style

Would you say you are a fashionable person?

I would say yes. Fashion is about you. It is in the mind. It is what enhances you beauty and what you think is okay and suits you.

Is there a difference between your fashion and your style or are they same thing to you?

In my opinion, I would say they are the same thing because my fashion transforms into my style. I would not really differentiate my style from my fashion side.

Is your style effortless or do you need to put in so much time before you come out with a tasteful appearance?

I don’t go the extra mile to look good because I am an easy going person in everything I do, including my fashion. I know the kind of things that would lift my spirit. As soon as I wake up, I already know what to wear to make my day perfect. That is what I have been doing everyday and it has become a part of my life.

Take away your profession as an actress, do you think you would be fashionable if you were into some other things?

Of course I would still look this beautiful. I love the beautiful things of life. I love fashion. I love colours and I love decorations. I don’t think I am fashionable because I am an actress.

Many actresses find it difficult to repeat a dress they have already worn to another event thinking their fans would boo them. Are you one of those who cannot re-rock a dress?

Not repeating a dress is a thing of the mind for the celebrities. If I have a beautiful dress and I want to wear it again because I love the way I looked the first time I wore it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don’t think it is a crime against human nature. I would confidently do it and I wouldn’t care what people say.

How long does it take you to dress up?

It doesn’t take me so long. On the average, I spend like 20 minutes to dress up.

How daring are you when it comes to fashion?

I am not that daring. I can never be caught dead wearing bum shorts. I am a very shy person. I don’t like exposing my body. If I wear bum shorts, I would feel that I am exposing so much parts of my body and I would feel uncomfortable. I don’t condemn people who wear them anyway. They must feel comfortable on it and that might be the reason they wear it. But for me, I don’t think I would wear bum shorts.

What of tattoos?

That is a triple no for me. I can never go there. I love my skin so much and I wouldn’t want any artificial thing on it. Most importantly, I see that as against the will of God. I respect God and since He said I shouldn’t do such, I will not do it. Then again, I don’t like the sight of it on people. I just don’t like the drawings on people’s bodies.

You are light skinned but is it natural? Do you ‘tone’ your skin in order to be this fair?

When you are fair, you have to go extra mile to take care of your skin because if you don’t take care of your skin, you would look dull and dirty. A fair skin needs a lot to make it stay beautiful. It is not like that for a dark complexioned person. You wouldn’t really need to do much for your skin to glow. The sun in Nigeria is so much and you can tan easily. So if you don’t use the appropriate body cream, your skin would turn brown and you would get sunburns. For me, all I do is to use the appropriate body cream. I don’t think I would want to bleach for anything in the world. It is not only because bleaching is bad; it is harmful to the body. I use good cream and I try as much as possible to avoid being under the sun.

Does your fashion end at what you wear alone?

Everything in my life is fashionable. It is not just about clothes and shoes and bags. My house is fashionable. My house is tastefully furnished. I just love beautiful things around me.

Can you count the number of your shoes?

The funny thing is that I am a shoe freak just as I am a car freak. I love cars a lot. If I have all the money in the world, I would be spending it on cars and shoes. But right now, I don’t have all the money in the world, so I am making do with what I have. As for my shoes, I don’t think I can count the number of shoes I have. I have so many pairs. I love shoes to the extent that it is even difficult for me to give out the ones I no longer wear. That is how much I love shoes.

So what brand of cars do you drive?

I drive different cars. I don’t have to tell the public how many I have and the brands. Some things should be private.

Would you remember if you have made any fashion mistake before?

As Nkiru Sylvanus, I have never made a fashion mistake. But as the village and timid girl people see on TV, I have made a lot. But I understand people judge my fashion sense from what they see on TV. Most of them have not seen me in real life before. If you meet me on a daily basis, you would be shocked how fashionable I am. I am not above the board anyway; I am just a normal person who loves to look good at all times.

Are you saying there is a clear cut difference between the person we see on TV and the real you?

I am not the timid girl on TV because I have been around. I am not naive. I know what time it is. But then, I am also a very conservative person. I am not loud. I am not a society person even though I am popular.

Can you stay without make-up?

I can comfortably and conveniently stay without wearing make-up. In fact, I do without it almost every day. I only wear make-up if I have to attend an event or a special event.

Regarding your hair, must you fix hair extension all the time?

It is not all the time. I do wear my natural hair once in a while. It takes a lot of boldness for a lady to wear her natural hair. We have got it all wrong with so many kinds of hair extensions.

How often do you visit the salon?

I make my hair by myself, so I hardly visit the salon.

What can we say is your style identity?

I do more of jeans and plain pants. On a normal day, I just wear jeans and tops. I am known as a jeans person.

You produced one movie recently, do we see you producing another one soon?

Yes. This is 2015. This is part of my resolution. I intend to do more movies.

As you are now a public servant, don’t you think your work in the civil service would affect your acting career?

It will not affect it. I just wanted to explore other parts of my visions and dreams. But entertainment is a part of me I will never let go.

You tried to get into music some time ago…

I tried but it didn’t see the light of the day. But I think I should do something again. I am nursing the idea. It will certainly be gospel music.

No comments:

TRENDING