Thursday, July 30, 2015

National athletics trials begin in Warri

National athletics trials begin in Warri
  • Athletes talk tough

Ahead of the All Nigeria Trials starting today (Thursday) at the Warri Township Stadium, some of the competing athletes are already talking tough as they begin their quest for spots in the country’s team to next month’s IAAF World Championships, in Beijing, China.
Some of the athletes who are yet to meet the qualifying standard for the World Championships and who spoke with New Telegraph, said they were not targeting victory alone, but to meet the yardstick for qualification, while those who have already met the mark are hoping for improvement. 100m star, Gloria Asumnu, expressed excitement at competing in her fourth National Trials and promised to give her best shot to making the standard for the World Championships.
“I am excited to be competing at the National Trials again,” she said.
“It should be my fourth trials and I am looking forward to it. “I want to do my best to qualify for the World Championships and I believe I can achieve that.” Quarter miler, Nathaniel Samson, said he was not worried about those he would be coming up against in the 400m as he has his eyes on securing a ticket to Beijing.
The 18 year old said: “I don’t care about the other people coming; I want to run my race and not anybody’s race.
“Everybody’s goal here will be to meet the qualifying standard because none of us has qualified for the World Championships yet.
I just pray not to have any injury before and during the race and for divine strength.” Patience Okon has already made the qualification mark for the women’s 400m.
But irrespective of this, the quarter miler told New Telegraph that her focus was on securing another victory at the trials.
“I actually took it easy at the Grand Prix because there was nobody to push me, but this time around, with faster athletes coming, I am raring to go and win the trials. “I strongly believe I can do it regardless of the opposition,” said the athlete who recently ran 50.76secs in Switzerland.

No comments:

TRENDING