Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Tinubu qualifies to be Yoruba leader – Fasanmi



First Republic senator, Chief Ayo Fasanmi, in this interview with TUNDE ODESOLA, speaks about the emergence of Muhammadu Buhari as the president-elect of the country, among other issues

What’s your opinion about the last general elections?

For some of us who have been involved in the struggle for over 50 years right from when we were under the political tutelage of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the results of the election represent the fulfillment of the political prophecy which Awolowo had made that the progressive elements in the country would have to come together in order to save this country from the ills that plague it. Many efforts were made in 1964 to have an alliance between the Action Group and other progressive groups. I entered through that alliance into the House of Representatives in 1964. As you know, Buhari has been contesting the presidential election since 2003 and the 2015 election was his fourth attempt. I was wondering why a retired general would be making many attempts and was not discouraged. For me personally, I feel very happy because this is the first time in my political life, spanning over 50 years, that my party would be controlling the government at the centre. I congratulate the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, for conducting a free and fair election. We all know what happened during the 16-year administration of the outgoing Peoples Democratic Party-led Federal Government but I don’t want to go into that now. Everybody in the country felt there was a dire need for a change and God answered our prayers. In a few months I will be 90. I can say my eyes have seen the political salvation of over 50 years of political struggle.

Three non-Yoruba candidates made it to the House of Representatives in Lagos while two were elected into the House of Assembly. As a nationalist, what can we do about the national question?

We should not allow religion and ethnicity to divide us. It is my prayer that this does not degenerate. In Lagos, for instance, Joe Igbokwe (Lagos APC publicity secretary) is an Igbo man. I know we also have an Igbo commissioner in Lagos. I want a sort of national integration where every one of us can live in peace and togetherness. If the issue of ethnic rivalry degenerates, only God knows where it will end. I don’t share Oba Akiolu’s statement about the Igbo. But the Oba has said he was misinterpreted. When I was a lawmaker in 1954, northern Cameroon and southern Cameroon were part of Nigeria.

How do you think Awolowo would have felt were he to be alive to see the Yoruba in the mainstream of Nigerian politics?

I used to have an old friend who is older than me. He is Pa Solanke who died 12 years ago and each time we met at Ijebu Igbo, he would ask this question because he felt the end was coming. Whenever I meet Chief Awolowo, I will give him the good news that the dream of a united Nigeria under a progressive party has come true. Awolowo was a man for whom I have a lot of respect. When he postulated the theory of realignment, people were abusing him. That is what has come to pass now. But I like to see the realignment as a forum for progressivism and not for opportunism because I can now see defections from the PDP to the APC. I am happy that the National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Lai Mohammed, has condemned that. For you to have a good government, you must have a strong opposition. What would be on Awolowo’s mind is that we must not practice the politics of personal aggrandisement. Chief Awolowo was committed to service to the people. This is his legacy and when you are talking about social services, Awolowo’s name stands out. He lived on ideas. Awolowo was interested in internal democracy and participatory democracy.

Awolowo was highly revered during his time but some of his disciples such as Chief Ebenezer Babatope, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Chief Rueben Fasoranti and others tried as much as possible to make sure that the dream of the progressive class to get power at the centre did not come to reality.

Let me say this clear and loud – these people you mentioned are friends that have been with me over the years. They have their reasons for what they did under the constitution of the country. I have a lot of respect for these gentlemen. It is a most unfortunate thing but I am happy they now realise they were wrong in backing a wrong cause. Their main contention was that if we were going to have a true federation, powers should be evenly shared. President Goodluck Jonathan called a conference over which billions of naira was spent in the hope of getting constitutional reforms. But today the country is broke. Salaries are not being paid and the conference recommendations remain unachieved. They felt that since Jonathan set up that conference, he would walk the talk. Some of them have their personal grievances but in politics, sometimes you feel bitter when certain things happen to you but in life, that is normal and you have to stand firm like Chief Awolowo did.

What do you think would be Awolowo’s opinion of them?

Awolowo is a Christian. I don’t think Awolowo would feel bitter. Politics is a funny thing. Would you ever believe that a former Governor of Osun State (Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola) would come to the APC and work with the incumbent Governor of Osun, Rauf Aregbesola? In politics, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies but there are permanent interests. Now that a new interest has arisen, there is a new President who is prepared to bring about progressive governance. I am sure my friends would come back.

Some people believe that Chief Awolowo was rigid and that that cost him the country’s presidency. They believe that if he had spread his hands across the Niger, he would have clinched the presidency.

I don’t think you are correct when you said Awolowo was seen as rigid and that that cost him the presidency. Awolowo was highly principled. When you have a strong will over any issue, that does not mean you are rigid. As regards stretching his hands across the Niger, the first running mate he had was from the North and his second running mate was from the South-East. It is certainly not correct. Look at the crisis in the Action Group; he stood firm. The society does not like someone who sticks to principles. Don’t forget that the late Ikemba of Nnewi, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, described Awolowo as the best president Nigeria never had. Too much of flexibility is not good. We lost the election during the Action Group days due to the issue of capitation tax (the tax was about five shillings in the 60s) but he was not worried because he was highly principled. Somebody who gave us free education, the first television station in Africa, Liberty Stadium, Cocoa House, University of Ife, etc. cannot be said to be rigid. People who live for eternal principles never die.

Chief Ebenezer Babatope and some other leaders have said the APC national leader, Bola Tinubu, should not see himself as the leader of the Yoruba.

I am sorry for them. Before we contested the election of 2003, there were six states in our zone that were controlled by the progressives. After the general election, Tinubu was the only man standing and you would be wondering how he really did it. He may have his faults like all of us but to underestimate the role of Bola Tinubu in the politics of the country is very unfair. He has been a source of inspiration. Where we are today, he has made substantial contributions in the fulfillment of Awolowo’s prophecy. Every one of us is qualified to be Yoruba leader. But it is not a thing you do on the pages of newspapers. If you go through some of the things which Asiwaju has done, you will give him the kudos he deserves. The Yoruba leadership is not the issue now. Leadership is open to all. Tinubu has done well and it is difficult to write about the Yoruba (political leadership) and not mention Tinubu. We had some problems in the party in 2004. Tinubu, the late Senator Abraham Adesanya and myself locked ourselves up for hours to settle the affairs of the party. I am not one of the people who can descend to the level of prejudice; Tinubu has done more than his critics to promote the cause of the Yoruba people. He has his style which many may not like but it would be unfair to say he is not qualified to be the Yoruba leader.

Buhari was said to have clamped down on the progressives class during the Awolowo era?

Don’t let us talk of medicine after death. Some people went after irrelevancies during the elections. The people of the country have spoken. Buhari is a democrat. He paid me a condolence visit in company with Aregbesola in October last year when my wife died. I told him that he would be the next President of Nigeria. About a month ago, I spoke with him on the telephone; he was thanking me that my prophecy about him had come to pass. All the things that were said against him would amount to nothing. I am confident Buhari will perform. Somebody said, “When I am right, they don’t remember. When I am wrong, they don’t forget.” Buhari’s victory is an act of God.

What’s your view of the crisis in Ekiti?

Ekiti State is my first home. Let us pray for the state. I would not want to make any comments now. It does not matter how long, truth will prevail. We have been in the opposition and yet having fought a battle of liberation, some people think they can do whatever they like. What really worries me is that if you have a House of Assembly that has 26 members and seven of them can take over the governance of the state, I don’t know what you would call it. I have told my friends that what is happening in Ekiti State is a temporary upset.

As a former senator, what our lawmakers collect today is mind boggling when viewed in relation to the harsh economic realities facing the country. What do you think should be done to the humongous perks and emoluments being collected by Nigeria’s lawmakers?

I am worried about that. The cost of governance is astronomical because a situation in which a few appropriate to themselves almost over 50 per cent of the nation’s resources does not help the country. This does not concern legislators alone. For five months, many workers have not got their salaries. In our time, we emphasised service. If you do a cost analysis of how much it takes to run the Senate, you would come up with shocking revelations. It is worrisome. In 1964, when I was at the House of Representatives, I cannot remember anytime that anybody demanded a kobo from me. Things have changed. The demand on those who go to the National Assembly is huge because people believe they make money there. As of today, people come to me to make demands as if I am still earning something. We must deal with the issue of corruption. The emphasis should be on service and not on self. Something has to be done about the lawmakers’ earnings.

No comments:

TRENDING