Friday, May 08, 2015

Imoke denies scheming to replace Mu’azu



Cross River State Governor Liyel Imoke has denied reports that he is interested in taking over the position of the National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party, which is currently occupied by Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu.

Imoke, who spoke with journalists on Friday at the Margaret Ekpo International Airport in Calabar, said he would stay from public office after May 29 handover and remain a firm member of the party.

He said, “I have been in the public limelight for much longer than 16 years. I intend to step away from the public limelight, even though I remain a loyal party member, a strong supporter of my party. I will work for my political party to the extent that is necessary but I do not intend to run for any public office.”

When asked what level of confidence he had in the leadership of Adamu Mu’azu as the chairman of party after the 2015 elections, Imoke said, “The party faced a defeat, a major defeat that will obviously have some consequences and some impact.

“On May 29, the President will be handing over and there is a need to rebuild the party. We should not allow the party to disintegrate; some sacrifices may have to be made for the greater good of rebuilding the party.”

Speaking specifically on reports that he was lobbying for the party’s top job, Imoke said he never made such move.

The governor said, “I have seen my name published in papers about interest in the chairmanship of my party but I have never expressed such an interest and I still do not want to express such an interest in running for any office. I took the decision not to run for any office many months back.

“It was my intention not to participate in politics, especially running for any office.”

“I have not also been approached by anybody at any level to be chairman of the party for any reason. The reports are all rumours that I do not know from where it came from.”

No comments:

TRENDING