Sunday, July 26, 2015

Straight from my heart

Straight from my heart
I got worked up recently over an issue one man regarded as ‘trivial’. Then someone said I was ‘being para’ over it. I got to know that the guy meant I was hallucinating and I hit the roof. Hallucinating when all a full grown man could see in a picture of an innocent girl celebrating her 12th birthday was that ‘she’s ripe’?
It was in a Blackberry group. A member had uploaded the picture of her lovely daughter on her (daughter’s) birthday on the group’s photo gallery.
Of course, we all ‘commented’ as was the norm. These comments were more of prayers and goodwill massages. We admired the little girl’s beauty and mien and gave our individual verdicts -she’s pretty, much more than her beautiful mother; looks intelligent…blahblah.
Then a guy spoilt it all for me. I imagined he zoomed the picture, took in the flat chest, the innocent smile and shy look and posted his comment: ‘She’s ripe enough’! Ripe enough for what? I asked, more than 24 hours later. He replied, “Ripe enough for marriage.”
I felt the air leave me. I zoomed the picture and it hadn’t changed -she’s still flat-chested with reed-like figure. To me, that figure could be a five-year old’s. Then I asked the guy how old he was and he said 36…and still a bachelor. Could he get married to such a girl? His response? “Why not. Even the Senate has pegged age of consent to sex at 11.
“You wan claim say you sabi pass our lawmakers?” I felt the bile rise in me. On this issue, I believe I sabi pass those lawmakers, who, in between chopping the life of their heads and living affluent lifestyles funded by our collective wealth, gathered in the House, belched in contentment after sumptuous meals and vintage wines and voted that an 11-year old girl could legally have sex in Nigeria. Unfortunately, a mother, Senator Chris Anyanwu, who sponsored the Nigerian Sexual Offenses Bill, thumbed her chest when the bill was passed into law.
She probably felt fulfilled that she had been instrumental to a law that would encourage paedophiles in the mold of Senator Ahmed Sanni Yerima to lower their creaking bodies between immature thighs of girls-turned-brides. Back to our 36-year old bachelor, who unfortunately occupied a managerial position in an oil and gas company. I told him in no uncertain terms that people who are sexually attracted to immature girls should be locked up in mental homes.
They are the perverts, the sadists that defile children, even months-old babies and blame the devil. After a heated argument in which other members took sides, the ‘too old a bachelor ’ apologised. He said his comment was actually meant as a joke. Apology welcomed, I still wondered why many men saw nothing but sexual value in every female they came across, no matter what age.
I’m wondering if I could ask for a favour from men out there. Is it possible that you look at a female and see sensible, intelligent, educated and reasonable beings, who could also have been on President Muhammadu Buhari’s entourage to the U.S. White House on a visit to America’s President Barack Obama recently?
I felt really bad that our dear president found no female intellectually sound professional that could have made that trip on an official level. I would have preferred that to Governor Adams Oshiomole’s ill-clad wife, who though went on unofficial platform, was the only female face in the entourage.
This is not the change women voted! We are good enough to be part of President Buhari’s government. It’s the last Sunday in July already. We thank God for He remains faithful.

No comments:

TRENDING