Saturday, May 30, 2015

I am not a digital artiste like so many today — Ogunma


Oluwaseyi Segun Moses Ogunmekan aka ‘’Ogunma” is a young artiste who is already making waves in the entertainment industry. His songs and videos have made their way to top blogs and radio stations including Hip TV, Silver Bird- Music Africa and many others. Ogunma has performed alongside major artistes in Nigeria and Ghana; he has been on stage with the likes of Ice Prince Zamani and Tobi Grey on MTV Base Listening party held at Unilag. He has worked with Eminic, and the popular Ghanaian trio known as VIP. In this chat with FLORENCE AMAGIYA and Sarumi Kehinde, he talks about schooling, his two years sabbatical in Ghana, challenges and his music comeback in Nigeria.

MUSIC

Music has always been part of me; it is the profession I chose. I am doing music because I have a lot of messages to pass across to the world, based on my environment, experience, even as a young man and the things that I do. My genre of music is a fusion of Afro-hip pop, RnB and Dancehall.

I write my songs myself before going to the studio for recording. Right now, I am working towards releasing an album because I already have a lot of singles to my name. I believe that I have a lot to offer because my own brand of music is unique. I strive to inspire people on the perspective from which they should view life.

CHILDHOOD

My childhood wasn’t a perfect one as l suffered what some other children suffered. But all I can say is that, God is faithful and l am where l am today because of His grace. I am from a monogamous family, the second born of three siblings. I have tried several unimaginable things to make ends meet, even though l am very young; I have a mature heart that is in love with music and l do not intend to leave it anytime soon. Music was the only thing I could do right and obviously what my heart chose. I can say that I have hustled my way to where I am today.

REASON FOR MUSIC

Of course there are many youths who go into music for the wrong reasons; some go into music for the immediate gratification, which is money, some go into it because it is trending. But l went into music because I have a message for the youths who are my fans. I have a track titled ‘’Get Busy” which is receiving massive airplay as we speak.

EDUCATION

I started out at District Primary School, Opebi, and then to Alwarul Islamic Model College which happened to be a single sex school system. I tried getting admission into the ‘’University of Lagos”, my dream school, but it was not easy. Right now, I am studying mechanical engineering at the ‘’University of Abeokuta” in Ogun state. I know that it would have sounded better if l were studying music; as well as becoming a musician, but engineering is my profession while music is my career. Notwithstanding, even if I have all the money in the world I would not quit school.

PASSION

Before now, l took a break to Ghana to begin my music career. While there, I met a young man named Friction, who happens to be the CEO of the popular Ghanaian trio VIP, he was very essential to my career growth in Ghanaian music industry. My hit track titled ‘’Nigerian Boys” is a song that endeared me to the general public.

I got the opportunity to perform on live TV shows alongside great artists like ‘’Promxy”, ‘’Prodiga”, ‘’Lazzy”, ‘’VIP” and a host of many others. After spending two years on their scene, my music was received and appreciated, but l didn’t find fulfillment. So I decided to bring it back home, so that l can tap into my country’s resources before taking it to the shores of other countries.

My parents have always been very supportive so I am in safe hands. I am currently signed to ‘’Enimis Entertainment” and ‘’Triple O” Entertainment owned by my immediate elder brother; Babatunde Ogunmekan and Chief Olayinka Ogunmekan respectively. There is always a point in every man’s life where he comes to the realization that ‘’Nothing Good Comes Easy”, that made me more determined.

CHALLENGES GROWING UP

I have had my own fair share of struggles, it is the same as any other upcoming artiste would say. Growing up was a bit tough but the grace of God was sufficient for us, my parents had to work hard to provide us (the children) with whatever we needed. Back then, I personally used my volition to make ends meet in any little way that I could. I went as far as washing cars and being a bricklayer for some time.

SACRIFICE

If today, everybody who has ever been supportive of my career decides to take their hands off, the greatest sacrifice I can offer is to be steadfast. I would never stop doing music neither would I let the people who believe in me down. The financing would definitely be a hindrance but I thank God that He created me an industrious person. I intend to take my career way ahead even after people are satisfied with what I am doing. I get inspiration from every source around me and I write my songs easily.

NEXT FIVE YEARS

I started playing the keyboard three years ago and in the next five years I would be much better at it. If l have my way in five years I would be doing great and a force to reckon with in the entertainment industry. At the moment my next single titled ‘’Galidator” is coming out soon, I am certain it would become a hit but I am looking up to God because by strength shall no man prevail.

Many are called but few are chosen, that is the fact that keeps me going. I am not just a digital artiste; I can perform on stage with a live band. That is one edge I believe I have over most musicians like myself.

No comments:

TRENDING