Monday, April 13, 2015

Buhari alone can’t fight corruption – chairman, Imo CAN



Chairman of Imo State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Bishop Stanford Nwaogu, speaks with CHUX OHAIin Owerri.What is your assessment of the elections in Imo State?

I thank God that for the first time since the history of this country and Imo State in particular, we had a peaceful, as well as free and fair election, especially the presidential election. There was no violent incident during this and other elections. I would have said that the presidential election was 100 per cent smooth but for some hitches, especially the problem with malfunctioning card readers that were reported at various polling units. In spite of the setbacks, I would say the exercise was a huge success.

Who would you give the credit for the success of the election?

I think the credit goes to the Independent National Electoral Commission, the security agencies and members of the National Youth Service Corps, who also joined in conducting the election. The voters themselves also deserve to be commended for turning out to vote in an orderly and peaceful manner.

Did you vote in the election?

Yes, I did. I voted in a polling centre at Mbiere, Mbaitoli Local Government Area.

What did you observe at the polling centre during the election?

Just as I have said, the election was peaceful there. There was no incident. I didn’t see anybody fighting or snatching ballot boxes.

What do you think about the change of leadership at the national level?

As a Christian, I prayed for this election. I prayed that the will of God should prevail. I believe that the final outcome of the election, nationwide, reflects the will of God for Nigeria. For this reason, we welcome the President-elect with open arms. Although the overall result of the election did not fulfil some people’s expectations, Nigerians have no other choice than to accept it. I think they should follow the example of President Goodluck Jonathan and accept the result without reservation.

What would have happened if Jonathan had not conceded defeat?

There would have been a big problem. The tension in the country would have gone out of hand and there would have been a serious crisis. I recall that when the results were announced, especially here in Owerri, there was unusual calm. Everywhere was very quiet and the streets were deserted. The atmosphere was tense. If the President had refused at that point to accept defeat, those who expected him to win would have reacted in the same way and all hell would have been let loose.

What are your expectations from the incoming government?

I expect the President-elect Muhammadu Buhari to tackle the current insurgency in the country to a conclusive end. I expect him to deal with the Boko Haram decisively. The previous government tried to do this, but it did not succeed. So, Nigerians are looking up to him to put an end to the activities of the terrorists. We want him to restore regular supply of electricity in the country and to find a permanent solution to incessant strikes, particularly within the education sector. Also, he should provide jobs for unemployed youths.

To what extent do you think Buhari can fight corruption?

Of course, everybody wants Buhari to fight corruption. He has said that it is his first priority. I have just listed what I would like him to do first when he assumes office. The truth is that there is corruption everywhere. But I don’t think that Buhari alone can successfully fight this social evil. It takes a combination of human effort and divine intervention to achieve this. Corruption has eaten so deep into the foundation of the Nigerian society that I think it will impossible for Buhari alone to eradicate it. I think he should work closely with religious leaders in the country to solve this problem. We will help him with prayers, while he uses his will power to deal with it. Besides, I think there are some institutions that will be useful to him in the fight against corruption.

No comments:

TRENDING